Thursday 5 March 2015

Gulshan-E-Iran, a shining star in Mumbai!

The last time I was in Mumbai, I had enough time to taste some of the excellent but less popular places near the Fort area. The last night in Mumbai, all by myself, I decided to venture into this place called Gulshan-E-Iran, which I had passed by a couple of times before and realized it was never empty. It was a Monday evening and I thought it would not be that busy during a weekday but I was so wrong. Even for a Monday evening, I had to wait for almost 30 mins to get a spot to eat. The restaurant has a ground floor for people on the run and a top floor for families.
The first interesting part of the restaurant is that there is communal sitting on the ground floor, I mean the tables are for 4 but if you are less than 4 (as in my case) others will share a table with you. I found this very cool, something that I have seen in other European places too. The menu was offering a variety of traditional Kebabs, Mughlai and North Indian curries along with pizza and Chinese (!!). And the price section was even more appealing, so much so that you doubt what you are going to be served in Mumbai with that price. I opted for the traditional Mutton seekh kabab, Murgh Shahjahani and Tandoori roti. I think customers here take more time to decide than the delivery, the difference between ordering your food and the food on your table is merely a couple of minutes.
Food was excellent to start with. The seekh kababs are nice and juicy with unlimited supply of onions and coriander chutney. Chicken Shahjahani was nice and spicy with shredded chicken, a rich and creamy tomato gravy with boiled eggs shredded on the gravy. And the tandoori roti; fresh, warm, super huge, round and crispy, something I haven't had for a while. They are clever enough to not give your tandoori rotis together as they become cold but you also don't have to wait for the next one after you finished your first. The service is PROMPT! Also, the other people sharing the table with me were mostly ordering Biriyani and/or Tava bheja, the latter one being the favorite among locals.
Although surrounded by smelly Crawford Market, Gulshan-E-Iran's aroma cannot be masked. Its one of those places where there is nothing fancy about but you leave with a satisfied belly! Be it on a weekend with friends, a family night-out or you just don't want to cook at home; Gulshan-E-Iran serves to all. I would definitely be going back as and when I get a chance.
(PS: Sorry for the bad picture, I was starving and the sight and smell of the food was not helping either!)

No comments:

Post a Comment